background

Friday, February 4, 2011

Want something YUMMY??

The ultimate "Power Food" 
Date Balls ( a Larabar knockoff but BETTER!)
I have had lot's of requests for this recipe, from Jac's friends!
They may look a little scary but as Jacqueline's friends say,
"Your mom's yucky food... is so good!"


Before trying this at home I HIGHLY recommend using a VERY good blender.
With that said, I thought pictures would help with this SUPER EASY recipe:

1 cup walnuts or almonds (or ANY kind)
I like to chop them up in the blender first...
1 1/3 cup dates or more if you want a sweeter taste... remove ALL pits or it might get a little dangerous :)
You can chop them up before adding if you want. (it might be a little easier on the blender)
 Put the dates in the blender with the nuts and add 1tsp vanilla and 3-4 TBS cocoa
 Blend it all together!

Roll into balls or any shape you like. They store for a week in the fridge or you can also freeze them.

I LOVE crumbling mine up and putting it in greek yogurt. mmm....

As you can see, it passes the KID test. (not Emily, but she doesn't count!)
 The possibilities are ENDLESS! We have made some that taste just like cookie dough...so yummy!
You can look on this website for lot's of recipes.  Larabar knockoffs The recipe above are from a link called "fudge babies"

Dates are very good for you! They are loaded with good stuff... and so satisfying. They are a great recovery from hard workouts too! Jac takes them EVERYWHERE!

If you try them, let me know what you think, don't be surprised if it becomes a staple at your house too!

5 comments:

marilyn said...

Yum. dad sais I'm going to go get one! They are our favorite! Thanks for the receipe, its a keeper!

Unknown said...

yes!! i love poop balls! :) i'll have to get my mom to make them! :)

Amber said...

I didn't think I would be a date fan when you made these at Moms but these are so good!

You have a good looking kid tester...See you tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!

Jolyn Buhrley said...

SO....I guess I should brave up and try them. Don't get me wrong your "POOP" balls do look delish.

:) Oh, my, people around here, think I'm healthy!! You and Jac bring new meaning to the word!!! It's AWESOME,LOVE IT!! I just don't know if I can try poop? maybe if you said I could have a Mcdonalds icecream cone if I did? I love that Jac's friends say your gross stuff is GOOD! That's priceless.

wendy said...

Hmm, I'll have to try those. They look good? You should put your oatmeal recipe on here. Holli was telling me about it and she said it was SO GOOD! I love to hear about all the Whiting-Healthy-Food Ideas!