background

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Thomas' field trip

The Capital building
One of the great things about having all the kids in school is that I have the opportunity to go on field trips! And the fact that the kids want me to go is a huge plus!
First stop, we went got to a Naturalization ceremony. You probably know what that is but I didn't! It is when people become citizens of the United States of America.
There were 170 people from 59 different countries! When the judge asked some of them to talk about their feelings you could feel their love and excitement. One man from Iran started to chant "We are FREE! We are FREE!" I went upstairs after the ceremony (there are benefits of a weak bladder!) and got to take pictures for some of the families as they celebrated this special day. It was an amazing experience! Their faces were Beaming with pride! It made me proud to be an American.
The kids enjoyed talking with the judge after who was so fun. He talked about how he became a citizen of the USA and what it meant to him.

Our second stop; a tour of our State Capital building.
It was fun to see how beautiful this building is. They have kept it just as it was when it was first built in the 1800's. The architecture is amazing!
One of the 5th grade teachers, Mr. Cox, was a member of the House of Representatives for about 5 years. He took the kids to the room where all the bill are discussed and passed on to the Senate. The kids have had a great time learning about how bills are passed and have had mock trials at school.
I had so much fun being with Thomas. He was so sweet and stayed by my side the whole time. A true gentleman. I love this kid so much! I am one very lucky mom :)

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

I didn't know what the Naturalization Ceremony was either!:) What a fun field trip. I know Katie enjoyed it too.

Amber said...

What a great experience! Thanks for the awesome family home evening. We LOVE to be with you guys!!!!!!!!

marilyn said...

I love being with Thomas too, he is always so sweet and thoughtful, and fun. Great experience to have together and it is always great when your kids want to be with you, I think you will always be lucky in that department!