background

Monday, May 9, 2011

Get up and finish the race...

BYU Invitational... a privilege to be there since you have to qualify... 
beautiful day... feeling STRONG and READY!
After getting boxed in at the start and having to go into lane 6 to get out of the crowd, she  push her way to the front. She stayed in front for the first 2 laps making it her fastest 800 yet!
As I was watching her turn the corner, my heart SANK as I watched her GO DOWN!!  A girl tried to pass but cut in too soon; Jac caught her heal, lost her balance and went down bringing another girl down with her.
I was heart broken, this was her race! This was her day! How was she going to handle this? 
As quickly as she fell, she was back on her feet giving it her all to fight her way back. She did good but by the 4th lap her energy was zapped. She came in at a 5:37 which is still VERY IMPRESSIVE!
You can see the pain in her face and her knee has the road rash to prove it.
The amazing part of this story is
#1 she KEPT RUNNING
#2 she didn't let it get her down!
As we were gearing up for the tears and meltdown we 'knew would be coming' she walked up and said, "That was my best 800 time in the mile yet! I was right on track and I KNOW I can do it next time!"
No tears, no anger, just pure determination to prove it at Regions this Wednesday.
Jac may not have won this race but she is well on her way to winning the race of life with an attitude like that!
I am so proud of this girl and the woman she is becoming. 
THANK YOU JAC for being such a great EXAMPLE to us all! 

4 comments:

Kellie said...

That's so awesome! What a great kid ;)

Angie said...

Jackie you ROCK!!! I will race you anytime and you will always win our race!! love you sweet girl! Good luck on Wednesday!

PixieGirl said...

What a story, what a girl! I am so impressed with her perspective and attitude:)

marilyn said...

Her attitude is what champions are made of and Jac is a Champ all the way!!!!!