background

Monday, December 14, 2009

Presents vs. Gifts

On Saturday as my friends and I were running on the treadmills, a sweet man asked us this question; "What is the difference between a gift and a present?"

"Gifts are from the HEART, they take TIME and LOVE. Presents are the things we give when we don't have time to give gifts!"

He encouraged us to give GIFTS this year. I loved what he said but I had no idea what a profound impact those words would have on me later that day.

We went to visit my Grandma Pink in a rest home. She has been sick for so long. We thought she was going to die years ago but has held on. It has been so hard to watch because the woman that was so active, raising a wonderful family, living on a farm, being a nurse, burying her husband (33 years ago) being a great grandma and great grandma, choosing to give everything she had to the Lord by serving 6 missions; was now unable to go a day without horrible pain.
Grandma had fallen the day before and the side of her face was bandaged up and very bruised and swollen. We weren't sure if she wanted the kids to see her like that so Matt and I entered the room and the first thing she asked was "Where are the kids?"

When Matt went out to get the kids she told me she was going to die. She told me how scared she was because she didn't want to be alone when it happened. I told her Grandpa would be waiting for her and it was going to be so wonderful. She told me she wasn't afraid of that part. She was afraid of being alone when it happened. I told her that the Lord new her prayer and her biggest wish. I was sure it would be granted.

When the kids came in they each hugged her frail and tiny body. She was so weak. Emily read her "If you give a pig a party" which just happened to be one of Grandmas favorites. She asked Emily if it was OK if she closed her eyes. Emily said that was fine but she still made sure that Grandma got to see all the pictures :)

She asked Thomas to sing his solo that he did a few years back. He has become famous for his ability to sing "When the moon hits your eye like a big piece of pie.... that's Amore' "

Matt suggested we sing "Silent night" she called Thomas over to the bed to join the rest of us and held his hand as we all gathered around her bed and sang. I could barely get the words out. The spirit was SO STRONG. Grandma looked like an angel. We finished with "I am a Child of God" while Matt gave her a light message on her tender shoulders. (she LOVED his messages!)

She then asked Matt to say a word of prayer. We all took hands and he prayed that my grandma would have added strength to be able to endure the pain. He prayed for her comfort and peace. It was beautiful.

As we were getting ready to leave, Grandma apologized for not having any gifts for us this year. This is when the difference between gifts and presents became very real!

I told Grandma what the man had told me earlier that morning. I told her that she gives us GIFTS every single day of the year. She has always showered us with so much love and sincere concern. She has been an example in so many ways, including these last few years on how to keep going and enduring the hardest of trials with so much patience and faith.

She still wanted to give us something so she gave us a Christmas tin. It is just a little tin with nothing inside because we made her keep the yummy chocolates for herself. I will cherish this tin because it is the last gift my Grandma gave to us before leaving this life.

My dad called at 1:08 am this morning. I knew what it was. Even though Grandma has been sick for a very long time, this last visit was different. We were telling her goodbye.

I am so grateful we had this opportunity to spend this priceless time with her. It will serve as a reminder of who my grandma was. She LOVED the gospel with all her heart. She shared her testimony whenever she could. She shared it not only through words but more importantly through the way she lived!

We are all wearing pink (her favorite color) in honor of her today (Jacqueline's idea of course!) We are also hoping to get everyone to wear pink at the funeral :)

I seriously feel so much gratitude and JOY for my grandma because she is finally FREE! She is with Grandpa, her mother, her brother and others who have passed on before. She is probably dancing all around because she doesn't have any more pain.

I am so grateful for the knowledge we have that we WILL see her again and that she truly is in a better place. She has finished her earthly test and has now begun the next stage. This is part of the plan. Gods great and glorious plan!

Goodbye for now my sweet Grandma, until we meet again!

Thank you for everything!

I love you.
Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

{ mr and mrs jp } said...

This was so perfect. Grandma is such a special person. I miss you guys already.

Rose said...

That was so awesome you were granted the opportunity to give her the gifts she loved so much, your songs, stories and love. What a beautiful story!

Angee said...

It's always good to have a cry on a Monday. Thanks for providing that to me. Can't wait to share gifts vs. presents with my kids and the Primary kids. I'm so glad you could have a wonderful gift with your grandma. I love the gifts that your children gave her. Merry Christmas...

Monica said...

Such a beautiful post! I love that picture of Emily reading to Grandma...PRICELESS!
You know she felt so loved and what a neat experience that you were able to be with her right before her passing. That is such a special time and I agree that the spirit is so strong. What a cherished memory.
I too am wearing pink today in her honor. Thanks Jill for this post, very touching and inspiring.

Rod and Jess said...

Jill, you didn't even say anything this morning! I am so sorry for not knowing, but so grateful for the knowledge that your sweet grandma is in a better place and is pain free. I know you've wanted that for her for a long time. It's so ironic that that gentleman felt so inclined to share that thought with us on Saturday morning, and then for you to go through this. It gave me such a new insight for this Christmas season. We have been given so many GIFTS, and they are definitely out-weighing any present we could ever buy! Thanks for sharing yet another gift through this post! All my love to you and your family!

Christy said...

What a sweet Christmas Miracle for her and your family. You don't give yourself enough credit for the service you provide to those you love. I am quite sure that she was thrilled to have you there to let her go. (I think my grandma held out until she could she could say goodbye to each one of us.) What a sweet tender mercy for your family. Love you!

Kellie said...

What a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing this tender experience.

Jolyn Buhrley said...

Beautifully said Jilly. What precious memories your family will have of that last visit. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I am so happy for her today, I can almost feel her smile. So, I'm not sure why my heart still feels heavy...even when knowing she is finally reunited with Grandpa and pain free? I am excited to see you Friday. love you.

Christina said...

How beautiful! I am crying because I regret not taking more chances to be with her. And because no one was there with her (physically). I miss her and love her! I wish I could have been there to hold her hand. :) See you Friday.

Quarnbergs said...

Jill thanks so much for sharing!! your family is so great! and i look up to you and your family :) have a Merry Christmas!!

Angie said...

We wish you continued peace about grandma Pink. We love you. Thank you for sharing such a sweet experience. Your family is such a great example to ours. love you.

marilyn said...

Jill that is a beautiful post, you are my gift, I love you and your precious family so much, you give and give so freely, I always know that you are there anytime I need you and you and Matt have taught your kids that unconditional love that you all so abudantly share with everyone how blessed your dad and I that you and each one of our precious children are ours for eternity, thank you Jill for calling us that night after dad talked to you he felt so strong that he should go stay with grandma all night, its amazing how much the Lord guides us and loves us, I hope you someday know what a great gift you and your famiy are to your parents. Jill we love you!

MikkSolo said...

Wow Jill what a tender story. That is so great you guys were able to be with her at the end of this life. I love you Gifts Vs. Presents thought.

Shawn

Angie said...

Jackie you are so thoughtful. I will wear pink tomorrow too. love you.

misha~sha-sha said...

That post is beautiful! Thanks for giving me something to think about.