background

Thursday, January 21, 2010

How long do YOU wash your hands?


How long do YOU wash your hands?
Thomas decided to find out by making this question his Science Fair project.

Matt and Thomas went to the University Mall for some Father/son bonding; and hung out in the boys bathroom (on 3 different days) so they could count how many people did or did not wash their hands. They also timed how long the people washed their hands.

After 20 people had come and gone, Thomas put up a sign asking the people to wash their hands for 20 seconds. Matt and Thomas counted 20 more people to see if the sign would make a difference.

Thomas learned that having a sign on the wall helped motivate the people who were already going to wash their hands; wash for a little bit longer. As for the others, it made no difference. They didn't even look at it as they walked out the door!

Thomas had a great time hiding in the stall and having people look through the cracks at him wondering what in the world he was doing!

Matt stood in the corner acting like he was waiting for Thomas to come out. This plan worked out great until the same maintenance guy came in to clean 3 times! On the last day, Matt saw him walk in and he rushed out the door as fast as he could! I am sure he was wondering what Matt was doing! It gave us something to laugh about :)
After hours, and Hours, and HOURS, of HARD work, (by Mom, Dad, and Jac too) Thomas' project was a success! He received the highest honor which is the Einstein Award. PLUS, he found out today that his project is moving on to the District level. He is VERY EXCITED! We are very happy for him and we are VERY happy to have the project COMPLETE!!!
I must say, I have been so impressed with Thomas' passion for this project. He has such a determination and drive to do his best! Most kids would have done the bare minimum, not Thomas; he wanted to do his very best, and it showed!

Congratulations Thomas on a Project well done!

6 comments:

Monica said...

Way to go Thomas! I love Science projects...we have had many Science Fair projects at our house! Yours by far was the most interesting I've seen and I very interesting! Loved it!!! You are awesome!

Amber said...

That is the coolest science project EVER! What a riot! I can just imagine the laughs you had together. VERY interesting and VERY gross that people really don't wash!!! EEEEEEW.
I'm going to remind my kids about making sure they're washing for 20 seconds! Congrats Thomas!

Christy said...

Way to go Thomas! That is a great project and it is obvious that a lot of work went into your under-cover work. I hope you are proud of what you have accomplished. Because we are.

misha~sha-sha said...

That's a great idea! Did it freak you out how few people wash their hands?

Megs said...

LOVE IT!! How weird to watch people in a bathroom all day!! LOL Maybe Thomas is an athropoligist at heart!
I sed to teach my preschool kids to wash their hands to the ABC's... I still sing that in my head when I wash mine!!

I am glad the district recognized his hard work and WAHOO THOMAS BOY!

marilyn said...

What a genuious idea, very interesting, I don't know why a sign would make any difference, Congradulations Thomas great job wonderful research and great idea!!!!!I bet people wondered what you were doing hanging out in the bathroom. love you