background

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

DR Congo day #3


Today I awoke early by the sounds of bells ringing in the bell tower of the monastery. The Priest must have rung it at least 50 times. It woke up the entire community. Minutes later you could hear people talking as they walked down the dirt road which serves as their main street. A few minutes after that I heard Catholic hymns being sung and a morning devotional from the Priest. The music was incredible and was in total harmony. It was a great way to start the day.

After breakfast we filmed a typical day on the Luputa water project. Men and boys gathered at the monastery and climbed in the back of a big construction vehicle to be transported to the dig site. After filming them climb in the truck we got ready to go, but I just couldn't let this opportunity pass to ride up in the back of the truck along with the volunteer workers. They were shocked to see me climb in (as if Americans can't handle something hard) and I had a blast riding with them. It's amazing how you can have a conversation with people and not even know their language. The few French words I've picked up on sure help. We went through huge ruts in the road and we would sway back and forth. One time I said, "Woo Wee!" and they laughed. I taught all 30 - 40 of them how to say "Woo Wee!". After we finished filming at the dig site they piled back in and I stayed behind to film some other things, but they all wanted me to ride with them again. I told them I couldn't and some of them started saying "Woo Wee!" and laughing as they waived goodbye.

Another thing that made them all laugh was when I poked fun of my facial features. One of them was kidding around with me about my chin, so when I laughed along with him and talked with my hands about the differences between our two facial features it was quite comical.


 The footage we got today at the dig site was amazing. We were in the middle of the jungle digging a trench with rudimentary tools. 30 - 40 men and boys have been digging 6 days a week on this trench for 3 years. It was humbling to say the least to see what they have done firsthand and witness their commitment to the project.

We also filmed a place where they used to get their water and of course the differences are great. Even though I've known it before It has sunk in even deeper what a tremendous difference clean water makes in the lives of people. Its greater than anything we can relate with. Greater than the invention of the microwave, computer, cell phone, satellite TV, etc. Clean water is so much more than a life changing convenience. It saves and enhances lives on a community level, not just with individuals here and there.







This afternoon we went to the adult session of District Conference. Their building is too small and they have to sit outside of the building and listen on speakers. They spoke in French and then a man translated it into Chaluba, the local dialect. The mission president (Packer from Farmington) talked about the two great commandments and focused on how we can love others by serving them. It seemed to bring a deeper understanding to me today of how great these two commandments are and that truly all else falls around these first two foundation building blocks to a more Christ-like life.

After the meeting we attended a Water Committee meeting and captured some great moments of them helping themselves. The Treasurer on the committee is a woman who was with us all day today. I ended up giving her the braided bracelet Jacqueline made and she was beaming from one ear to the other as I tied it around her wrist as a thank you for her dedicated service on the committee. I doubt she'll ever take it off. The committee was organized long before we came into the picture. They've been having meetings for 18 years in an effort to bring clean water to the community. They are true champions of their people. They started their meeting with a prayer, which helped me see the truth behind their comments that they prayed us to come... and we came.

I love each of you and wish you were here!

Love,

Matt

No comments: