background

Thursday, September 30, 2010

DR Congo day #6

 Today we filmed the water tank tower being constructed. The cement was mixed on the ground and then buckets are handed down a line of men one by one, then tossed up to someone on scaffolding who then tosses it up to the person on top of the tower who puts it into place. It was just amazing to see such a large project being done without the use of machines. One of the construction workers was wearing a pink sweatshirt with three white daisies on the front. Obviously a piece of clothing that was donated to him and not having the luxury of being picky, there he was amongst all his other rough and tough construction friends wearing a woman's sweatshirt. Everyone understood and he didn't have to put up with any ridicule from his buddies. We laughed to each other thinking, "He wouldn't last a day on an American construction crew, but how cool is it that it doesn't matter here."
Clothing for the majority of people is for all intents and purposes, rags... Church members nonetheless make the sacrifice to have the nicest clothes they can possibly find to attend Church. A pair of decent Sunday shoes is a big deal for  members who really want to look nice. Starting yesterday I had  a thought in my mind that I ought to give my old Sunday shoes  away that I usually use for my Africa trips. I have other old shoes that can replace them so I made the decision to find a brother who needed them. In the late afternoon I was sitting with our translator, Eric, who recently returned from his mission in Zimbabwe. The thought came back and I asked him what size of shoe he wore. He's a couple of sizes smaller so I backed off a little but the thought was still there to give him the  shoes. I cleaned them up and gave them to him. He looked at me and said, "Brother Matt, I have been praying that I could get Church shoes and I don't have the money to get any. I didn't know how I was going to get them." I responded, "I like to be the answer to someone's prayer..." I apologized for them being too big and he and another sister observing the interchange looked at me as if I was from a different planet. Size doesn't matter here. The only qualifications are if your foot can fit inside and will it stay on when tied.




 Sister Beck asked while we are here to capture a mid-week Relief Society meeting and some visiting teaching. We went to their meeting not knowing what to expect and found them outside the Church in the back, with chairs circled. They started with a prayer and song which invited the sweetest feeling of the Spirit. Then onto their activity, how to kill and cook a duck... What!? What ever happened to making little crafty nick-knacks? We captured the duck being killed, processed, and cooked and can't wait to show Sister Beck and the other General Relief Society Presidency members the real life, basic necessities that are being taught. Even though they will have a good laugh they will love to see the practicality of their meeting. They had duck along with cassava leaf and fufu. I ate a crumbly pop tart and told them I was too full to eat anymore, so to go ahead without me.






 As soon as we drove through the little neighborhood to find this members house we had a group of kids already following us. Feeling like my entertaining energy had burned up I asked two of the African men traveling with us to keep the kids back. They did a pretty good job intimidating the kids and threatening to take them away if they don't behave. Adults don't treat kids well here if they are not behaving. It is very common to see a total stranger hit a kid on the head if they think he needs discipline. After awhile their tactic stopped working and the noise was growing. The producer, Peter Evans came and with "puppy eyes" asked if I could divert them somewhere else by doing something fun. I was tired of taking pictures of them and having them go crazy over seeing themselves in the LCD screen so I started jogging and made a game of it. I started making rhythmic sounds as I breathed in and out and ALL of them copied me perfectly.
 They learn in school by memorization because they don't have text books to read, so they copy and mimic things really well. Pretty soon I had around 50 kids running with me, mimicking every sound coming out of my mouth. I made up different "Yaaaawhooo's and WeeeHaaas". As we ran all the parents and teenagers came out to the side of the street and watched as I passed by. Some of them were dumbfounded at this crazy American running with their kids and seeming to enjoy it and others laughed and gave their approving waives and smiles as they could see how much fun the kids were having. Some of the boys wanted me to box like Rocky, so we spent the next little while running and boxing like Rocky Balboa. The children here are extremely impressionable and I pray for them that they will have the right role models to follow, because they will follow...

Love you all,

Matt

6 comments:

Kellie said...

These are awesome stories and pictures. Matt - you have an awesome job!!

Deni said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed these past few posts. Thank you Matt for enriching my life. We don't know what we have do we?

Audrey Carlson said...

Wow! What wonderful experiences! Thanks for sharing with us. It really puts everything into prospective.

Angie said...

I love it when you share these awesome experiences. You have the best job on earth. I read the article in the Ensign for september where you gave a quote. Good work!!!

Amber said...

These pictures are amazing! I loved seeing some of them in the General RS meeting!! Matt's photography looks professional. Did he take all of these? I love reading about his experiences. Nicki wants to paint the visiting teacher photos but is supposed to confirm that Matt took the pictures so that she isn't violating copyright...assuming Matt doesn't mind.

I need to learn how to post large pictures. Your blog looks really nice. Love you!

marilyn said...

Wow, not they have a great hero to follow, Matt Heaps, he will lead them to their eternal hero, Jesus Christ, Matt we are so proud of you, I love the pictures they do say a thousand words! love you