background

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Provo Marathon

We have been preparing all summer long for this day and it FINALLY came! Matt started out with a knee injury in May; but after fixing his stride he was ready to go. His Africa trip made him miss two big runs but he was feeling strong.

I thought my knee was going to be an issue too, but it is amazing what correct form can do for you! During the last month I have fought tendinitis around my ankle bone. I went to the doctor last week. Knowing I would run the marathon no matter what; he suggested shoe inserts, lots of icing and 800 milligrams of Ibuprofen 3 times a day! I wanted to run so I did as I was told. About 3 days ago my lower back began to hurt. Not until this morning did it dawn on me that my kidneys were reacting to so much medicine!
It was a beautiful run with 75 runners (I know... lot's bigger then any race we've EVER seen!) It was very professional I must say! Ha Ha! We all looked at each other as the race director was telling us where we would be running. Our #1 goal was NOT to get LOST! We started above Vivian Park in Provo Canyon. At mile 8 we got to turn back UP the trail for 1 1/2 miles and then headed back down the Canyon. At mile 14 we got to do another crazy detour so we could stay on trails and not run on the roads. We ended by running on the trail to Utah Lake.

It was so fun at mile 18 when we saw Jac and Ashley jumping up and down and cheering for us. It's amazing what a lift it gives you! Matt needed it because he was hitting the "wall". After stretching for a while and walking now and then he was feeling great by mile 24.

I had decided to take my Narcolepsy medicine at mile 14 hoping it would give me an extra boost along with another 800 ml of Ibuprofen. At mile 21 my head started to spin. Now I was dealing with a tired body AND a horrible sensation that I was going to pass out! Every time I stopped to walk My eyes would roll back and my head would start spinning and I'd try to walk some more to feel better but it never quite helped. When we hit mile 23 which was a very hard time for me; my parents were sitting on a bench waiting to cheer for us! It was so wonderful to see them :)
Even though Matt could have come in sooner and a lot stronger he stayed by my side the entire time! It was so sweet of him to stay with me. He kept telling me, "We've come this far together and we are going to finish it together! I don't care about our time!" He is always amazing me with the strength that he empowers me with. He sang songs and kept me going when I felt like I couldn't run another step! We went from 8:10-8:30 minute miles to 11:00-12:00 minute miles UGH! We came in at 4 hours 16 minutes, my worst time yet but hey who cares right?! What matters is that we FINISHED!

The best part of it all was crossing the finish line holding hands with my best friend! 26th place overall. We don't have to tell people how many runners were in the race do we? We still finished the top half; not too shabby.

Not many people can say they have ran a marathon with their spouse. We feel pretty lucky! It made it all worth it. Even feeling like I was going to pass out for the last hour of our run! (oh yea, and for an hour after) I know this sounds absolutely crazy to non-runners but for those of us who love running; it just makes sense!
Leesa and Jessica have been so much fun to train with. They are amazing friends! We have had LOT'S of bonding time :) Matt got a kick out of listening to us when he would join us for our long runs. "Wow, I have learned soo much about women!"
This may not have been the best planned marathon but we still had a great time doing it! We will have lot's of great memories and I learned a very important lesson... DON'T take too much medicine!
Will we do another marathon? YOU BET! not for a while though, give us a month or two! As long as Matt's by my side :)

12 comments:

marilyn said...

We are so proud of you, when you set your mind at something there is no stopping you, no matter how sick you felt, quitting was not something that even entered your mind. You are such a great example, and not many spouses can say they ran a marathon together you will always have special memories of that one. I know I would have got lost on that race it was not marked at all, it was a crazy race but it was very fun watching you both come in! Congradulations and great JOB love you

Jolyn Buhrley said...

WAHOO!WAHOO!WAHOO! WAY TO GO!!! WE are so proud of you both! How WONDERFUL to share the experience together! You are such a great team. All morning I was trying to picture where you might be in the race.

A marathon is such a MENTAL as well as physical battle, it is an experience like no other.:) Each marathon experience is so different, learning from each one. (I'm sorry you had to learn about medicine during this one-that is awful!!)

I am so happy your knee wasn't bothering you-now get the foot figured out!:) We need to both get all healed up and ready to train! I would love to do another marathon with you....Newport Oregon in June!!!:) Way to push through such a crazy marathon! Matt and Jill YOU DID IT!

p.s. Matt-Lou say's you are officially "THE MAN". He is in awe of you. We already knew Jill was tough...we had no idea....??!!!!

Kimberly said...

You guys are amazing! Way to go! What an accomplishment, but I know this isn't your first marathon huh? :)

Monica said...

I am so proud of you two!!! Although it doesn't sound fun to me! But I am so impressed with your desire to keep going through pain and medicine.

I loved that you did it together and my favorite picture was when you and Matt are holding hands across the finish line.

I agree family love and support is what makes it all worth it---we were thinking of you all day!!!

Way to go!!! WE love you two!!!

Amber said...

This post is so touching! Those pictures of you and Matt are treasures. You need to frame the one of you and Matt holding hands with your hands up. That is an amazing memory. Wow. Congratulations. Sweet. Matt singing to you, Jaqueline cheering you on- the whole thing is a perfect moment. A great analogy for life, for sure.

Rod and Jess said...

We did it! We did it! Congratulations to both of you! It was so fun to watch you two carry each other through it, and it was even more tender to watch you cross holding hands! Matt, you are a trooper to listen to all the girl talk, but you were a great asset to our team - you definitely helped us stay positive! I couldn't have done it without you guys! And you're right, we have definitely bonded this summer, but who wouldn't with all the time we spent together?!? I am so proud of all of us! Way to go! (Jill, will you e-mail me some of the pictures you guys took?)

Jayna said...

Congratulations Jill, you guys really are amazing! I was hoping to come and watch some of the race but too many kids (and husband) got in the way. Hopefully someday I will be able to join you guys again. Take a week off and relax, you deserve it.

Rose said...

Jill and Matt,
you guys rock! I have to admit that my marathons are much shorter than yours, but I do love a good run! Enduring to the end! That is awesome!

Christina said...

Wow! YOu guys are awesome! Not everyone can even say that they have even run a marathon! That is so great that you had eachother! Really awesome!

Unknown said...

That is awesome! I am so proud of you!!! What an amazing accomplishment! I love that you guys did it together and stuck it out together! How awesome! I love you guys!

Christy said...

Wah..Hoooo!!!! I am so proud of you! Way to go.... very impressive.

Angie said...

You guys did it!!! I love all the pictures! You two are very inspiring! love you!