background

Sunday, May 17, 2009

One to remember!


One of our FAVORITE family activities is HIKING! Well, for me and Matt anyway :)

We prepped the kids early in the week that we would be hiking on Saturday so they would be prepared. Jacqueline has actually grown to really enjoy these 'adventures'. Thomas and Emily need a little coaxing but by the time they get up there they usually have a good time.

We wanted to start the season out with a quick EASY hike. One that the kids would say, "That was fun! Let's go next week!"

We went up to Timberlake and TRIED to do a big loop around the mountain. What started out as an easy hike turned into 2 1/2 hrs of 80% up hill, with mudd, water and snow on the trail!!! I am NOT exagerating! I kept thinking we would be going down hill anytime so we just kept on hiking.

After 2 1/2 hrs, all we could see was UP. The picture of Thomas is the point where we decided to turn around and come back, you can't tell but it was all UPHILL!

It only took about 1 1/2 hrs. to get down :) My knee was hating me by the end, Matt's back was sore from carrying Emily through the tricky spots, our shoes were very muddy, Leo was now a black doggy but we had FUN!!!

I can honestly say that it was a great day being alone together, listening to the kids singing and talking as they hiked. We only saw a few stray hikers along the way...I wonder why?

Last year the kids went hiking with Grandma and Grandpa Whiting thinking they would be gone for about an hour. 6 hours later we picked them up!(you'll have to ask Grandpa what happened) We have had great laughs about that one.:) I told the kids we need to make memories like these atleast once a year. We've got ours in for this year!

Now, for convincing the kids that this won't happen next time...thats the challenge!
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Angee said...

Where's Timberlake?

We tried going on a hike early last year and hit snow as well. Fun for the memories.

I am definitely coming over to get detailed directions to all your wonderful hikes...

Rose said...

This time of year the trail along the Jordan River is a great one to start out with. It's paved and easy and actually very pretty this time of year (pre-bug). Leo would love it!

Amber said...

We want to hike with you! I would love a list of great hike locations from you...how about a post? =)

Monica said...

Hilarious!!! Love that Leo was is a black dog now! What a fun, crazy adventure that you can talk about for years to come!

Meg said...

Oh my.. that is what would happen to me!! I am not good with choosing hiking spots! They always seem fun before you get mid way through hahhah!
Glad you made it down.. and I am sure it was worth it being together! I bet Leo was thrilled!

{ mr and mrs jp } said...

ok . so i almost cried when i saw emily's blog and heard what she prays for. dang i love you guys. i need to be near you guys!! i cant wait. . i love you too much:)!

marilyn said...

I can't wait to go hiking with you again its so much fun, I guess you even make wrong choices sometimes. the kids are great sports so they have fun no matter what love you

Jolyn Buhrley said...

I am laughing soooo hard. Hmmmm...yes, I think you may have lost all credibility for when you tell your kids you are going on a "quick, easy, fun, hike!" However, count me in on the Heaps family fun!! I would LOVE to go with you, we miss you!! I love you all so much.

p.s. we would have absolutely LOVED to have seen Thomas preform in the play! We sure are missing out seeing all of our talented cousins in action!! Loved the pictures.