background

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Our 15th Anniversary!

We were married May 6, 1994 in the Salt Lake Temple.

Life is full of fun times,beautiful and peaceful times, hard and dark times and many challenges to work through and overcome...I am grateful that I have had my best friend by my side through ALL of these times!

When we first found out about Emily's illness, someone told us this would either tear us apart or bring us closer together. We both looked at each other and knew we were both in this together...through good times AND bad!

It's funny to think back on our first apartment, our first jobs, our first real argument that didn't happen till Jacqueline was born.(don't worry, we've had plenty since! Well, one or two anyway.)We laugh every time we think about it because it was so silly! Matt just happened to say, "If we can't afford a bed for Jacqueline, we can just put a mattress on the floor...no big deal" Not that I am EVER over emotional, but I came unglued! I couldn't believe that he would EVER think it was OK for our kids to not to have a BED! (Funny thing, Emily slept on a mattress for a few months! ...Never say Never!) It's funny how important some things SEEM to be :)

Trials strengthen us, they teach us and they give us new and greater perspective on what life is really about. I am so grateful to have a husband who is willing to take my hand and travel through life with me. I know that the Lord knew I would need his strength, his love, his support, his FUN, his love for life, the Lord, our kids and for me!

Matt sees me better than I see myself. He lifts me up when I am down and he cheers me on when I am up. I don't know why I am so blessed but I thank my Father in Heaven daily for allowing him to be in my life. He is a wonderful husband who listens and is always looking for ways to improve and make things better. He is an amazing father who plays with and supports his kids in anything they want to accomplish.

Sister Hinckley once said that when she married President Hinckley, she knew he would always put the Lord first. She was OK with that. I have really come to appreciate her example because Matt also puts the Lord first. I am OK with that too :) I have come to realize that in putting the Lord first, he is a better husband, dad and human being. He has always been such an amazing example to me of someone who is willing to sacrifice the temporal things of today for the more important spiritual things of tomorrow.

I love you Matthew Alma!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Kellie said...

What a nice tribute to Matt. You two are wonderful and I love the before and after pictures!

Christina said...

Wow! I can't believe it has been that long! I still remember sitting on your bed in your mom and dad's house and you were telling me about him. I was so excited that my cousin who was so mature, wise, and beautiful was telling me all about her boy!! (I mean "Man"!) Man, I had to have been 11 or so! I was (and still am) so envious of you and look up to you so much! Wow how time flies.

Congratulations!

{ mr and mrs jp } said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ! You guys are the cutest couple ever love youuuuuu

Rose said...

Sweeeet! Here's to many more years of marital bliss!

marilyn said...

What a blessing to have such wonderful children and married to such perfect spouses for them. We have watched the two and then five of you grow to amazing adults with amazing children. You are a beautiful family thanks for who you are and who you have become! Love you

Jolyn Buhrley said...

So beautifully said. You both bring out th very best in each other. You are such great examples to us! Mac made the comment that you are even more beautiful now then in your "before" picture! That's pretty good coming from a teen-age boy! You both are beautiful inside and out--we love you so much.

Boy, you probably thought I was TERRIBLE when I had Justin and Gracie sleep in my closet for the first 2 years of their life!!!! And-- I don't think a portabed is much better then a mattress!:)

Loved looking at your wedding pictures again. You were such a beautiful bride. It brought back fun memories of your pre marriage days... sitting on your bed downstairs reading your scriptures every night before bed...then me having to wake you up after you fell asleep during your prayers. J/K!
LOVE YOU

Angie said...

I think Matt should bring the boy bang wave back in style! loooooove it!!!!!!!!

Meg said...

I remember our standards night in YM/YW when you and Matt were engaged and they let us ask you questions. I remember the wedding cake fiasco.. Who knew that at 15 Jer and I would do a wedding cake and oh what a leaning tower of pisza it was!!hahhah I loved your wedding video and probably watched it a million times..it was so fun with you all golfing and James Taylors you got a friend and you are my sunshine.. you should put it on the blog! So cute!
Most importantly I remembered how much you radiated love for each other and how I wanted to be JUST LIKE YOU! Thank you for your great example of love and how putting in the deposits to a marriage makes your love even sweeter. I still want to be like you!
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! WE ARE OLD!! HAHAHA Love you!

Christy said...

Yeah for the both of you! Keep going.... life is always happier with the ones we love. I am glad that you found each other.