background

Friday, May 1, 2009

PIRATE DAY!


Maps have been a really fun thing to learn about. Especially with a great teacher like Mrs. Moore who ended the unit with PIRATE DAY! Emily was really excited to come and join her class on a treasure hunt. Every child had a job to do on their "ship". Emily's job was to hold the flag.

Emily held on to Cambry the whole time. Mrs. Moore asked her to go in Halle's group and Emily wouldn't because it meant leaving Cambry! I felt so bad for Halle, who didn't seem to mind. I just had to sit back and hope Emily would warm up to everyone. All the kids are so sweet to her and want to be her friend. It is just hard when you only come a few times...she gets pretty overwhelmed.

One little girl came up to me and said, "Emily just wants to be with Cambry doesn't she?" I was glad she said something to me because Halle was right there with some other kids as well. I told her that Emily is just a little nervous and since Cambry lives right by her she has seen her more. I told them that when Emily comes back to school she will have a chance to be more comfortable with everyone. I assured them that she wants to be friends with everyone. I hope they understand.

After finding the treasure chest full of chocolate coins..mmm... they played different pirate games like "Walking the plank" and "high dice"...very cute and clever. I love how creative Mrs. Moore is!

When it was time to go to lunch Emily was so devastated because she wanted to STAY! I let her go with the kids to the lunch room and see what it's like. She got so excited to see so many friends from the ward and from her class last year. She kept looking for Thomas though. She wanted to see her big brother!

We went to his class to see when his lunch time started. Mrs. Rivera told him he could go with us which made Emily's day! We were headed outside when Emily decided we should take Thomas to Costco for lunch. How could I say no?

While Emily and Thomas enjoyed pizza from Costco she kept saying "Why don't we get Thomas more often mom?"
I agreed with Emily that having Thomas around IS much more fun!

Emily was torn yesterday wishing she could stay at school with her friends and have fun like everyone else. I was actually glad to see this because lately she has been telling me she doesn't want to go back, she wants me to always be her teacher. I have loved teaching her but I know that the best way to do home school (in my opinion) is to have ALL the children home schooled so they have each other to feed off of, motivate and inspire. I haven't wanted to get Emily hooked on one way or the other because we really don't know what next year will bring. For now, we are planning on her going back to school but we really have no idea! I can't imagine them letting her go back if her counts stay low like they are now. PATIENCE is the key right? The Lord LOVES to test my ability to let things happen in His time and not mine...I am not sure when I will have this perfected. Who am I kidding? Probably NEVER! I am doing my best though :)

We are so grateful to have Mrs. Moore in our lives. She has helped us out so much this year and she really makes Emily feel like she is a part of the class. This really makes a difference!! It has not been easy for her to come to our house 2 times each week after a full day of school, a family to take care of AND being the Young Women's president in her ward. I have been so impressed by her willingness and dedication to be Emily's teacher. Once she told me "Yes" she has never looked back. I really don't know how to thank her for her service. Just another angel sent to help us in our time of need!

3 comments:

marilyn said...

How thankful we are for great teachers, there have been many "angels" sent to guide and direct Emily, I could never thank anybody enough, just try harder to be of service to others. Em just seems so confident and is so happy you don't realize or I should say you forget that things do make her nervous that she isn't familiar with, but she will conquer any fear I have no doubt!

Jolyn Buhrley said...

Emily is blessed to have 2 wonderful teachers! What a fun day. I love you!!!

{ mr and mrs jp } said...

Aw this is the cutest!! I love YOU GUYS!! 18 more days:)