background

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Emily's best friend

 

If you ever wonder who Emily's best friend is you don't have to look far, actually most days he is right by her side! Yes, Leo even sleeps with Emily! This started when she learned that owls eat small animals. She couldn't sleep because she just knew an owl was going to come and eat Leo! She goes to sleep so much faster now too which is nice for mom and dad!

It is so amazing to watch the two of them together. He is very protective and likes to be between her and whoever comes to see her...it is actually quite funny! last night Emily didn't come home until midnight...Leo didn't know what to do with himself!

Coming from someone who is not a "dog person" I have to admit I am glad we have Leo around. He LOVES the kids so much and has a unique relationship with each one. It is funny, before Emily had her transplant, she wasn't this close to Leo. She always loved him but he liked his "space". Dogs have an amazing way of knowing when they are needed. Ever since Emily has come home Leo doesn't leave her side! When she is sick he curls up in a ball with her and will lay there all day long! It makes her so happy to have him around.

I can honestly say that pets are therapeutic for people.(Yes, I said it!) Leo has given Emily so much happiness and comfort in a time when life is not that easy. I will always be so grateful for this.

It really is a miracle that we even have him because I have NEVER wanted a dog. Something told me 2 years ago that it was time. I saw Leo and was "weak" for a day(you know how cute puppies can be!). When I approached the family about it I found out that Matt and the kids had been praying for the past few months for my heart to be softened! They were so excited! I was glad to know that I helped them see that God does answer prayers---even impossible ones! ha ha! But seriously I look back and know that it really was inspired.

Even though I still don't LOVE being a dog owner, smelly dog, accidents in the house (very few and far between now thank goodness), smelly dog, oh yea, did I say smelly dog?! I am glad we have him and I am glad Emily has a best friend who is always there for her!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Monica said...

Emily,
I am so glad you have Leo! You two are so cute together! He is a lucky dog to have you! I love the pictures of you two!
Jill,
I loved your post! You make me laugh! I am so proud of you and I believe also that Leo was supposed to be a part of your family! You can admit it like I've had to ---you are dog person! You are an awesome writer--very entertaining! I love you sis!

Amber said...

These pictures are my favorite! I am touched and impressed. You are an awesome Mom!

Jolyn Buhrley said...

Ok, Jilly....You have truly melted this not a "dog person." Did Mitch put you up to this?:) Seriously, so,so sweet.

Leo, thank you for looking after our Emi, I LOVE you!!
XOXO Jolyn

marilyn said...

Jill you are so good at putting your words and feelings down, I'm so thankful for blogging. I am also not a dog person, but who can't love Leo, when you see the happiness he brings to Emily, and Thomas and Jacqueline. I even have to say I love Leo too. He really does protect Em, and seems to know what she needs. You were being prepared to accept Leo, I'm glad the kids prayers were answered.

Jeremy Whiting said...

Thanks for making me cry 20 minutes before school starts! This is the sweetest post ever. I love the picture of Leo all curled up, but still wary and watchful, next to sleeping Em.