background

Monday, November 17, 2008

Emily's Primary Program

"Mom, even if you are sick and can't go to church, you can still be a member, right?"

This is the question Emily asked before going into the hosptial this summer. I told her, "Of course you can." The last 4 months have been living proof! Emily has been able to continue with primary lessons, singing time and having the sacrament each week. It is different not going to our church building and being surrounded by hundreds of ward members, but I can testify to you that the spirit is the same. In fact many times it has been even stonger.

Last night Sister Holladay's hard work paid off as we sat in our living room for Emily's primary program. Both Grandparents were able to give talks as well as Jacqueline, Thomas and Matt. Brother West, a counselor in our Bishopric gave beautiful closing remarks.

The music was so angelic to listen to. Emily had some duets with Sister Holladay,and she even got to play the guitar for "Called to serve". Thomas and Emily's friends joined in together to help with some of the songs and our Family sang the last one together.

When we asked Emily what her favorite part about the night was. She said, "I loved singing the songs because I really felt the spirit".

We ALL felt the spirit testify to us that we are children of God. He knows us each individually, by name. He knows are strengths,our weaknesses our dreams and desires.
I am so grateful that Heavenly Father is aware of our little Emily's desire to still be a member of the church! She loves being able to have church at home and partake of the sacred ordinance of the Sacrament. She, as well as the rest of us are so uplifted each week through the service of Sister Holladay and the Priests in our ward.
I don't think words could ever express my gratitude for the opportunity to be surrounded by people who truly get what the gospel is all about. They don't just talk the talk, it is who they are, it is what they do. When you are around people like this you can't help but want to be a better person.

Yes, Emily you can be a member of the church no matter what your situation, if you have the desire to follow our Savior Jesus Christ. He makes it possible. What a great reminder to us all!


7 comments:

Christy said...

Good for you! I would have never thought to do something like that. It looks like a special evening and Emily looked beautiful!

Coral said...

You are so blessed to have such a great ward! Thanks for setting such a good example for all of us!

Meg said...

i AM sooo JEALOUS! Primary programs are my FAVORITE! Grandma Whiting told me how amazing and special it was. I love you HEAPS!

Rose said...

What an exceptional hour it was! I was honored to be a part of it. God knows what the Heaps family needs. It was His idea to have the program, His idea for me to come to wherever Emily was to have Primary, His idea for me to learn to play guitar so that I could take music with me. His idea for me to be Emily's Primary teacher. I'm just the messenger, lucky to be part of His magnificent plan.

Monica said...

Emily,
I am so happy that you did so well in your primary program! I am so sad I couldn't be there! Thanks for the invite though! I felt like I got to be there seeing the pictures on your blog! You are such a special girl! Heavenly Fater loves you and so do we!

marilyn said...

This was truly the greatest primary program ever! Emily was so happy and excited, and sang so beautiful, she really performed. I loved all the talks, Thomas and Jacqueline and Matt and everyone was amazing. The Lord really loves the Heaps family, even giving Emily the best primary teacher He could send. He Loves You, and I do too!!!!!

Emily said...

This is Emily, the nurse from Primary's. I hope you don't mind that I am following your blog and following Emily's progress. I love that Emily had her very own Primary Program..seriously so great. Thanks for sharing.