background

Saturday, October 11, 2008

A great big thanks to all of you!!!!!

If there was one word that could describe the concert last night, it would probably be WOW!!!! As we sat there listening to the amazing musical talent I was in awe that so many people would be so willing to help our family; many of which we have never met. I kept thinking how sad I was for anyone who might have missed this special night. It was so incredible! It was truly a concert of stars! I just wish I had taken pictures! We were so amazed by it all; we weren't thinking clearly!

As we were getting ready to come to the concert I received a phone call from Emily's babysitter saying she was sick. I phoned the neighborhood for a sitter but everyone was busy or sick. I called our dear friend Megan Gazaway and she was so quick to come to our aid. She not only watched Emily but helped with the display in the hall. Thanks to Megan's great mind she talked Matt into letting her bring Emily in at the end as a surprise. He told her to go ahead but he wouldn't tell me so I wouldn't be worried.

After the last song as Emily walked up onto the stage with flowers for Tamara and Ruth, (the two incredible women who planned and put on this wonderful concert) I thought what a perfect and appropriate way to end the night. Emily was able to see all the people who worked so hard to put on this amazing concert for her and she was able to see all the people who came to show their support and love. It made her feel so good. She loved being able to be a part of this night in a small way even though she had to wear her mask to do it!

She stayed on stage as they sang "I am a child of God" which is her very favorite song. It was so beautiful!

I don't know if we can ever express how grateful we are to all of you for supporting our family in so many ways! People ask me all the time, "How do you do it? How do you stay so strong?" My answer comes very quickly, "All of our neighbors, family and friends!" There is NO WAY we could do this on our own. Our Father in Heaven knows this. He sends angels to help us through rough times. Our family has learned so much from your kindness and generosity. You are angels in our lives, angels that give us so much hope and strength. We know we are not going through this alone!
How can we ever repay you? The only way we can think of is to strive to take your examples and give back in any way that we can!

It is amazing what a difference people can make in someones life. We know this first hand! Our lives will never be the same. I am not sure we deserve so many blessings but I do know Emily does so I guess we get to receive them too! We come as a package deal you know.

I wish I was as good with words as Matt; but I hope you can feel my sincerity, love, and gratitude when I say how amazing all of you are!
It is very overwhelming to walk into an auditorium full of people who are there for your sweet daughter who has been through and is still going through so much. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.
We love you all!!!THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

- Jill


After reading Jill's entry that expressed our gratitude for the benefit concert, tears filled my eyes as I thought back about the night. Every morning and each night since then my thoughts have been on the feelings surrounding the concert. Something is being burned into our hearts that we will remember forever more. There's a core lesson that each of you are teaching us and that the Spirit continues to reinforce within us. I believe for me the lesson within the burning is the power of unity. We've been first hand witnesses to the burden's that have felt so much lighter because many people have come together, given what they could, and in the whole made a big difference.

We learn in the scriptures that Zion will be the culmination of people freely giving their time, talents, and treasure. An accomplishment that will not come without His people being unified. On Friday night I looked around and saw a group of people giving their time, talents, and treasure to help a family in need. It was a little piece of Zion, a little piece of Heaven on the earth. Zion isn't so far away after all!

Thank You!!

- Matt

3 comments:

marilyn said...

my heart is so full also, what amazing neighbors and friends. As a mom and grandmother of the heaps I can't being to say how thankful we are, we feel the love and it makes us want to be better, and reach out more, because we know first hand what it means, to "make our burdens light" It was an awesome night we will always remember. I say like Jill Emily deserves it but I will go further and say The Heaps family is awsome and they deserve the blessings that the Lord is blessing them with, I love them with all my heart and appreciate their great example of never giving up and also smiling and their never ending graditude, we are the lucky ones, I can't brag but they are great!

Monica said...

What a tribute! I wish so badly we could have been there to share the night with all of you! You are so loved!!! We love you all so much and our so blessed by your example of strength in the Lord, and in one another. What a blessing you are to all especially the Whitings in Arizona! We love you all so much!

Ging said...

You are truly an example to all of us. I wish we could have been there to share in this amazing event. You are truly blessed. Love you so much!