background

Monday, February 23, 2009

Fireside adventure

"No! I won't go!! I HATE going to meetings...all you do is SIT and you can't talk AT ALL!"

"No, No NO, I won't go! It will be SOOO BORING!"

This was Emily's reaction when we decided to bring the kids to Kaysville for a Humanitarian fireside Matt was asked to do.

The kids were going to stay at home but Jacqueline started saying how much she wished she could come. She promised she would take Emily out for as many 'breaks' she needed.

We thought about it awhile and decided to run it past Thomas and Emily since it really wouldn't be a big deal for Emily to go into one of the empty rooms and take her mask off for a break.

They weren't as hip on the idea as Jac. Thomas was wise enough to just leave it at "We COULD just stay home..." He could see that Emily was saying enough for the both of them!

With an outburst and tantrum like this from Emily we decided that we DEFINITELY needed to bring them along...if anything just so she wouldn't think she got her way.

As I was putting on her dress (which she hasn't worn since last winter) The REAL reason came out.

"What if they laugh at my hairy arms?"

"They won't see them, your dress has long sleeves."

"What if they can tell I have a central line? I only want people I know to see it."

"No one will see your central line, you will be just fine."

On the drive there we kept hearing comments from the back, "I wish I never came, I don't want to go." When we got out of the van I realized that because of Emily's swollen feet she doesn't have any church shoes. I haven't worried about getting ones that fit for obvious reasons...Out she walked with her fancy purple dress and ....her BEAUTIFUL comfy PINK CROCS! I about died of course. Matt elbowed me and said, "Way to go, like she's not self conscious enough already!"...I decided it didn't matter so much; hey, who cares we'll never see these people again. Image isn't the important thing here! (I know, it was a shallow moment!)

Matt did an amazing job (as always) and Emily warmed up as soon as we walked into the chapel and talked with the nice ladies waiting to greet us. they showed us to the mothers room which had comfy chairs and lots of room to relax. They also promised yummy cake at the end.(which, nowadays IS an incentive for her!)

Thomas took her out after about 30 minutes for a break and then she came in again at the end. It may sound funny but it just felt good to have her in a chapel, singing church hymns and having our WHOLE family together again. I can't wait to have it all the time!

We asked Emily what her favorite part of the night was and she said "The end! We got to have yummy cake with whipped cream!" --can you tell her medicine is working?(a little TOO WELL!)

As we piled into the van to go home, armed with a vase of 2 dozen roses and other beautiful flowers, an address from a little girl who wants to be Emily's new pen pal, AND Emily's favorite...a WHOLE CAKE and can of WHIPPING CREAM; Emily said, "I am sorry Dad, I was just having a frustrating day."

It ended up being a great experience for all of us...even if the kids think Dad is a little boring(did I just say that?)...Like Jac said, "It's just because we have heard it so many times before." She told me she planned out what she was going to be eating for breakfast, lunch, dinner and a snack for the next day! I had to laugh...she is so funny!

Emily woke up today and the first words out of her mouth were, "Mom, I had a dream that we had cake with whipping cream...is it true? I hope it is! I want cake and Pizza for breakfast!"

4 comments:

Meg said...

HAHAHHA A girl after my own heart!! I LOVE that!! I want the info next time Matt does a fireside!! I would LOVE to go!!
WAY to be eating EM!! I guess medicine and prayers together work well!!

Amber said...

I'm so glad Emily is eating! Tell Matt we want to hear his presentation next FHE. We don't want to miss it!

marilyn said...

Mat could never be boring, you do learn from Emily her true feelings, how great she is though no matter what happens she always thinks about it and she know if she didn't handle a situarion the way she should, she always lets you know she is sorry. I bet it did feel good to all be toghter, it will come someday and this will be behind us, but the lessons we have learned will be with us forever!

Angee said...

Yeah, the other day Jackie told me: I'm having a peanut butter smoothie after school. She just thinks of food cuz it's so wonderful!
-kenz