background

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Arriving in Sierra Leone




I have to start this entry by saying "WOW!" Kenya, Ethiopia, and Ghana were all much better off than Sierra Leone. This is the poorest country I've seen.

I am in the Freetown, the capital today and even the capital has very little infrastructure. Things we take for granted like roads, laws and regulations, water and sewage, and electricity. The civil war that occurred here has torn the country to pieces, but I understand it is doing much better than it was, but they have a long way to go. Usually I would encourage people to stay in their country and help build it up, but for the first time today I thought I could not say that for a Sierra Leonine. Unemployment is about 70%.

Our trip here was very eventful. There is one airport for the entire country and it is very old. they let you out on the runway and you carry your bags to the building. Once inside there are many people waiting to help you so they can earn a tip. I don't know why , but the airport was built across a large ocean inlet from Freetown so you have to ride an old helicopter, old ferry that takes forever, or a water taxi that also has older boats. All three options are risky since all the equipment is not maintained properly. We took the least of the evils and rode in the water taxi. They jammed us all in which was about 14 people and luggage. They started to take us out and then the engine died. We had some government ministers on board and they were scared to begin with. This put them over and they demanded to return. One of them said, "I don't care about my money, you can have it, just get me off this boat!" The driver ignored them and so did the manager. The ministers became very angry, but Elder Greding and I knew the motor was flooded and just needed some time so we took it in stride. After a lot of yelling and threatening to close their business down, they turned around and docked again. We switched boats and with some trepidation headed out on the ocean again. Now with only 5 people all of us ironically working for various nonprofits. While in the middle of the ocean a large wave came up over the front of the boat, busted through the window almost killing the driver and then totally soaked Elder Greding and another passenger. The other 3 of us got all the after spray but no doubt the first two got the worst of it. The worst part is that our luggage also got soaked so we've been drying things out. Luckily they had a boat following us so we transferred boats and were off again. By this time my stomach was queasy from the ocean waves on a small boat and the adrenaline rush of the near death of our driver and soaking of everything else left me feeling homesick. I thought to myself, "What am I doing out here?"

The church uses site monitors to provide oversight to the contractors building the Water System. we hired 8 returned missionaries, many of which have also graduated with a degree. They were all jobless before the project. Now that they have some experience some of them have received some other jobs. They were paid $1.25 a day they were happy about it. It is hard not to give them so much more but in the long run it muddies the water. It creates jealousy amongst other members and creates false expectations with the site monitor, but is is sooo hard to hold back. We are going to do some other things that will help make them more employable and hopefully help some good men with families that are living the gospel in one of the toughest places on the earth.

Tonight, having dinner with the site monitors/church members helped me remember why I was out here. I was touched and warmed when I heard them talk about what a great blessing this has been to them and their families. Tomorrow I will visit with actual recipients of the water and I know I will be reminded again of why I am out here.

It is hard to explain Africa to someone who has not experienced it, but suffice it to say that there is an emotional tole on those that cross the line between two worlds, that of the rich and the poor. It is of course more of a blessing that I will forever be grateful for and will never forget the lessons and blessings that are truly countless. ~Matt

No comments: