background

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Greetings from Africa



Today I arrived in Ghana and met with Bob Eppel, Daniel, Clarence, President and Sister Riding. Their office is at the same complex as the Accra temple. They were saying that last week 250 members from Ivory Coast came and did something like 850 endowments. When they give so much to attend the temple they also give all they have when they are here in doing as many ordinances as humanly possible.

The temple is small but a true oasis in the country where the Church is growing so fast. Branches are turning into wards and stakes are splitting. 5 years ago there was only 1 mission in the area where there are now 3 missions. The people are very happy and outgoing. It seemed like everyone on the street gave me a hand wave or smile in return and many shook my hand with an enthusiastic grip and often didn't let go until I pulled my hand back because I was a bit uncomfortable. Kenyans also love extra long handshakes that usually involve various twists with the hands and a snap of fingers at the end.

Elder Greding and I both like to experience real local life so with some of our free time we went across the street into an open air market for locals. We were the only white people in the entire market and many people giggled at us as we passed. People are still talking about President Obama's visit to Ghana and how he said we are all brothers and sisters. We had a few people come to us and say, "you are my brother, you are my father, just like Obama said" we would laugh, agree and then say we are albino Africans. This would always create a laugh in the crowd or group as I from my English ancestry and Elder Greding with his Scottish ancestry tried to persuade them we were African.

The market was very dirty and stinky and the cutest little kids were playing in bacteria filled dirt and flies were on all the food. Their shops consisted of dirt floors and tin scrapes pieced together like a puzzle to make walls and a roof.

It was true capitalism.

One man had an old sewing machine and would sew little tears in any type of fabric. Next to him was a young man with a TV and DVD showing movies (I don't think he received copyright permission:). He had 3 or 4 chairs inside and that was the local theatre. Another young man had an apron on with phone calling cost options. He was carrying around a full keyboard phone that had a cord attached to the headset just like you would see in an office. It was battery operated so people who wanted to make calls could. It was a bit funny to see an office phone being carried around an open air market, but he was a traveling phone booth. A creative business plan I must say.

I did see some people sweeping the dirt around their store. They were making the best of their situation and maintaining cleanliness however possible. Jill would have been an African like this.

Some of the images that stay with me the most is when I see young kids who are homeless or begging on the streets in their wheelchairs, clearly disabled. Ghana is no different and I've seen kids that are my kids age already begging, or sleeping on the sidewalk with no apparent signs of a family. I wish I could sit down with each of them, hear their story and help them salvage their life which in doubt still has much promise.

We can pray for these kids that they will find a home and family. I can't imagine being 10 years old and living on the street. I pray that they may share their burden with the Lord and somehow be delivered from their captivity or made stronger to handle their journey through it.

It is comforting to know that in the eternal perspective the Lord is fair. Everyone will be judged fairly. In my opinion, this is one of the most beautiful and liberating truths that has been revealed.

Love you,

Matt

2 comments:

Rose said...

Fabulous update! Thanks for sharing!

marilyn said...

Please keep sharing Matts letters, what an awesome experience, we pray for his safety, we have so much we need to be reminded sometimes, I guess I can't complain that we only have one bathroom upstairs. Love you