background

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Clinic Day

I was very nervous to go in today. About 2 weeks ago some test results came back showing that Emily's immune system isn't as strong as we were hoping. Her CD4 count is only 94. Anything under 200 is considered extremely low, too low for her immune system to be working properly. This is one of the main reasons for having the 2nd transplant. She was always hovering around 200 before. We are hoping when we test again in 6 months she will have higher numbers.

With this news, they discouraged us from sending Emily to school. "Maybe in the spring." They said.
I told them it was a pretty dirty trick to tell Emily she could go and now make me be the one to tell her she can't!

After discussing it with Matt, we have decided to go ahead and let her go. I told them this today promising to pull her out if she starts getting sick. (OF COURSE!!) They hesitated but luckily I had one of the more liberal doctors see us today so he agreed. "Well, the proof is in the pudding I guess; meaning she LOOKS GREAT and she hasn't been getting sick so, why not." They kept reminding me to bring her up if she gets a fever. I told them she may just surprise us all and stay perfectly healthy!

So, we are going to go forward. I am getting more nervous as the day comes closer. I am hoping it's just the normal jitters :)

Emily is doing so well with her weight! 3 weeks ago she was 17.1 and today she was 18.7 That is about 3lbs!!! It still could be the medicine but for now we are taking what we can get. It's amazing how much energy she has...Yes, I know she has always had energy but somehow she has even more!

Emily's WBC is 4000 up from 3000 last time. Her ANC is 1500 which is down a little from 1700. Basically the same.

Once again, time will tell. It's amazing how often I have to learn this :)

5 comments:

Monica said...

Sounds like great news! I can't believe how healthy she has been! Healthier than her Aunt.
Always go with your feelings. A mother's intuition always wins out on a doctors opinion! I love that you are so intune. That is awesome that she is gaining weight and has more energy. Your family has enough to keep up with her.
I miss you guys tons! Give Em a big hug from her Aunt!

Jolyn Buhrley said...

I was hoping you would hurry and post-I've been thinking about you all day. Sounds like a very successful clinic visit. Your traditional 1st day of school cookies are going to be extra sweet this year! love to you all!!

Amber said...

What a comfort to have inspiration from Heavenly Father! Congrats on the 3 pounds! Happy first day of school, Em! We love you and always pray for you.

Rose said...

Yay!!!

marilyn said...

I trust you and I know you know what is best, like you said she just might surprise everyone. One day at a time, but we know we are seeing a miracle, that first day of school is going to bring a lot of happy tears and jitters, I love you and behind you all the way!