background

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Church in Africa

We attended the Kenema branch today and their rented chapel building was filled to the brim. There was about 110 people there and a family had just been baptized the day before.

Tears came to my eyes when we sang the opening hymn #7 which talks of gathering to Zion. It was touching to be reminded that the Lord is gathering Zion all over the earth and to look around me and see the reality of that. This branch is the most eastern branch of the church in the country of Sierra Leone.

As you would guess with new members in a branch things were a little unorthodox but for the most part they were on target. I decided to attend primary so I could be with the real pure in heart and it was a blast. I sat down and put my arms out on the top of the bench and couldn't take them down after that. One of the boys sitting by my right hand grabbed my fingers and placed my hand on his shoulder, then rubbed his hand lightly on my arm hair. The kids behind them also rubbed my arm hair for about the entire length of the second hour. The little girls on my left also lightly rubbed my arm as they quietly listened to the teacher. The kids are soooooo cute. The spirit burned within as we sang "I am a child of God" and learned about choosing the right.

Physical affection is very common and accepted in most of Africa. It is very common to see two teenage boys or girls holding hands as they walk down the street. It is just something you do to someone you trust and admire. While in Kenema I have gotten to know Alex, the Elders Quorum President. He is a great man and will likely be one of the site monitors for the project.

Today at church he came to get me from primary so we could meet with the Branch President and he held my hand the entire way to the Branch President's office. Yes, something very awkward for me...

This afternoon Elder Greding and I sat out on the balcony in the back of the Capitol Hotel and talked as we viewed the green hills in the distance. It was great to get to know him better and what has made him who he is today.

It really is a great honor to interact with senior missionaries. I learn so much from their life experiences and their testimonies that have layers upon layers that make them who they are.

Tomorrow we leave Kenema (rural city) and head back to Freetown (country capital).

Love you ~Matt

2 comments:

Angie said...

WOW!!! What an experience. You are so blessed. Thank you for sharing! We hope your return goes well.

Monica said...

What an amazing experience! I love hearing about it and knowing what a difference the church is making over there and around the world.
Jill,
I can't wait to see the book you will be making. You are the amazing one on the computer. I've never seen a better blogger. You are thorough girl! I love you!