background

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Park City 1/2 marathon

Grandma and Grandpa Whiting came with the girls on a little Park City getaway. Thomas had to stay with his friend Mason, which was such a HUGE sacrifice :) so he could play in his soccer game; and Matt missed out since he was still in Africa :(

We were grateful to have Grandma and Grandpa there to watch Emily and cheer for us when Jacqueline and I came in from our race.
It was a beautiful day, perfect weather and beautiful scenery. I didn't realize how much the higher altitude would affect me. The first 7 miles were a gradual uphill climb. I struggled to catch my breath the entire time! Jacqueline felt great though :) After watching her go up ahead, realize I wasn't by her side, then slow down for me to catch up to her for the 20th time, I told her I loved having her by my side but since she was feeling so good and I could barely talk; I wouldn't mind at all if she felt like going ahead. She finally agreed at mile 7 and within 2 minutes she was out sight! She came in 8 minutes before me, passing 43 people along the way! She was on fire!!

When she crossed the finish line with 1:45 The announcer read, Jacqueline Heaps Lehi...then in shock read, 13 years old! She took 1st place in her age division and came in 60th overall!
When I finally crossed the finish line at 1:53 I was totally exhausted which seems so comical since my goal was to run a 7:45 pace. Instead it was an 8:45 pace! I felt better when I kept hearing other people talking about the altitude making it so much harder to run in.

The highlight of the day was being able to run with Jacqueline! She is a very determined and strong young woman! I love watching her take off with her long legs going so fast :)

After the race we went back to the hotel for a swim. This made coming up worth it for Emily! Even Grandma joined in the fun and almost drowned a few times when Emily would guide her to the deep end! It felt so great to soak in the hot tub and play in the cool swimming pool.

Before heading out we ate lunch at Cafe' Rio and just HAD to check out the Outlet stores. How can anyone go to Park City and not go to the "Outlet" stores? Grandma excitedly told us she wanted to go inside every store and this is exactly what she did!

We missed having Matt and Thomas with us but we definitely had a great time with grandpa and Grandma. They know how to make everyone feel like they are #1 in their book :) Thanks for being such wonderful Grandparents!


Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Jolyn Buhrley said...

WAHOO!! What a fun weekend AND Fun that mom and dad spent it with you!

The higher altitude DOES make a huge difference. The good news is- even running it once will help you when you go back for the full marathon!
Jac, you are amazing. WOW,WOW,WOW.
(I was...24 before I even thought about running a 1/2 marathon-and even then took twice as long to run it!) What a fun memory you and your mom will share. The shirts are even cute! CONGRATS!!!!!!!
love you all! We have loved reading about Matt's trip-- I'm sure he has been missed!

Amber said...

Congratulations! I love how you make fitness a family affair. This is a forever memory for sure. WOW. I love the pictures of you and Jaqueline running together. To have Mom and Dad with you makes it the best.

You could save those t-shirts and put them into a quilt like the one Monica made for Jos. They are really cute.

It was so fun to be with you guys yesterday!! Have a great week!

Brandi said...

Good Job. You beat my time by about a half an hour. You are an animal. It must be in the jeans.

marilyn said...

We will always have great memories of our trip together, it was so much fun how we love watching all of you how close you are and what great children you have and we are so blessed to be their grandparents, love the pictures!!!!!!

Rose said...

Awesome job!

Unknown said...

I am so proud of you! You are amazing! And Jackie... there are no words for you! I love you guys!