background

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

WARNING!


Matt and I spent last conference weekend putting a gel stain on our light yellow, actually graying cupboards. It turned out pretty good if I do say so myself!

It has been six months and we have had to do a few touch ups here and there ESPECIALLY with all the remodeling going on. I decided to put a lacquer finish on so we won't have to deal with all the little touch ups anymore.

After putting the first coat on last night without having open windows for the first 2 hours. I nearly knocked myself out! We kept the windows open for the rest of the evening but I still woke up with a horrible headache! I kept thinking of my sister Amber and her family...PLEASE don't come for a few months. I don't want you all to get sick from our house!

ANYWAY, I read the can AFTER applying the first coat and this is what I read:

NOTICE: Reports have associated repeated and prolonged occupational exposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system damage. WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

WOW! I am so glad I have been exposing my family to this for the last 2 days :)

Hey, now we have an excuse for our brain malfunctions and why not give us higher risk for cancer? All that really matters is that my cupboards look great, right?!!
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Amber said...

Keep those windows open!! We put finish on our cupboards when we first moved into our house. We had a hard time keeping enough ventilation because of Jeff's asthma acting up with the construction around our street. I'm sure that it triggered our allergy problems. I'll stay away,thanks! I'm glad you figured out the danger quick.

Angee said...

I think i have brain malfunctions (even ask Jackie) and i didn't even smell that at your house! That sounds like fun... not really! Well in my opinion, paint smells bad too, so i guess we've both suffered.... but at least i won't get cancer! :)
-Kenzie

marilyn said...

you know how to scare your mother, anyway too late, just don't do it again! love love you even if you are a little brain damaged

Monica said...

I know exactly how you felt! When I stained our doors that night and the next day I got a headache and then my kids all had them!

So that is my excuse for brain malfunctions!!!
I can't believe the warnings on the can---serious stuff! I can't believe that they even can sell it!

Unknown said...

LOL! At least when they are dry it will last a long time! :) They look great! Your house is beautiful!!!!

Jolyn Buhrley said...

OH, my..... what else can I say? Except!-I think you should all come up and live here for the next couple of weeks. Save a few braincells anyway??!!:):)

Christina said...

Well, you don't have to worry about the cancer part because it said "known to the state of California". We don't live in Cali, so you should be safe, right? It doesn't affect people the same in Utah, I'm sure!

Angie said...

Goodness Gracious! I hope everyone is feeling alright. I can't wait to see the final finished product.