background

Monday, January 12, 2009

Emily's Prayers

Emily's prayers are so sweet. They always have the same list...Thank you for all my blessings and help me to not be scared, help me to get better and not feel sick, help me to not think of bad things and doing bad things to my body.

I have asked her what she meant by doing bad things to her body and she said "I don't want to talk about it because I will have bad dreams."
This morning she wanted me to look up "lungs" and how they work etc. I told her that we could see a healthy one and one that was sick from someone smoking. When I pulled up the website she FREAKED OUT!!! She was SO scared she wouldn't even look at the picture! she was so upset she told me she wanted to say a prayer!

I am thinking that when she asks Heavenly Father to help her not to do bad things to her body she is thinking along these lines, not smoking etc. She is seriously SO FUNNY! I told her she didn't have to look at any pictures. Even without looking at ANYTHING, she was shaken up for about 45 min. Just a reminder---don't tell or show anything to Emily that might be 'scary'!

Emily wasn't feeling well today. This is not unusual, at least once a day Emily says she doesn't feel good. Some days she handles it pretty good and able to keep going; other days she is pretty down and out. Today was one of those 'down and out' days. She felt sick all over and even felt like she might throw up. Emily hates feeling sick. She told me she wanted to say a prayer. (We know when it's really bad when she turns to prayer!) About 30 minutes later she was very frustrated because she didn't feel any better. She said another prayer and asked for the faith to get better.

My heart breaks when I hear her pleading with her Father in Heaven. She wants so badly to feel better. I told her that the Lord doesn't always take your struggles away but he will give you strength to get through them. How do you teach this to a 6 year old? She is learning so much about prayer and that having faith doesn't always mean your going to get what you want when you want it. I know these are wonderful life lessons that she will be able to look back on but as her mother, it is hard to watch her living it day in and day out.

This afternoon she was back to feeling good again and she was SO happy to not be feeling sick. I reminded her that the Lord did answer her prayers. She just smiled and hugged me.

Emily reminds all of us, me, Matt, Jac and Thomas to pray for her EVERY NIGHT!!! She seriously can't go to sleep until we have all assured her that we are praying for her, that she will be safe, not be scared and that she will feel good. Even though we get tired of hearing her requests each night I can't help but think how cool it is that she knows prayer has the power to bless and bring her peace. I am so grateful for these reminders. Isn't it so true that when you know your loved ones are praying for you, a peace and comfort comes in a way that is very hard to describe. It is REAL, I can testify of that!

Sorry for my jumbled thoughts. I just want Emily to be able to look back and remember how and what she did to get through her rough times. Life teaches us so many things. I have just realized the challenge is to REMEMBER those things and use them to make us better people!

4 comments:

Cyndy said...

Emily is a wonderful example in this, as in everything it seems. In life's struggles I know Heavenly Father is absolutely capable of granting relief, but often wonder if he will. Of course I don't doubt that he loves me, but I tend to fall into the "he is teaching me something" or "this is just the nature of mortality" line of thought. With this in mind, I try to focus on being teachable, submissive, and malleable, as I want to let him create me! A number of times I have been reminded by the spirit to ask for relief!!! So many blessings await those willing to ask in faith. Thanks for the reminder Emily! And by the way, you are often in my prayers Emily's Mommy :). I wish you strength and simple joy while enduring the "day after day."

Kellie said...

What a sweet post and you can tell Emily that we are also praying for her (as I'm sure hundreds of other people are as well!)

Amber said...

Emily is so full of life that I sometimes forget that she could be scared, even with all she goes through.

Tell Emily we pray for her morning and night. We will make sure to put in a request for her comfort.

There is such power in praying for each other. How neat that Emily knows that! When I have trouble with the skin on my hands peeling to raw and bleeding, they only start to heal when I ask Jeff and the kids to pray for my hands. Praying myself is not enough and Heavenly Father wants me to know that. That is so cool that Emily knows she can ask her family to pray for the help she is seeking! Love you, Em!

Coral said...

Thanks for sharing. That was a beautiful post! Tell Emily that we pray for her every night too!