background

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Wow! We have it VERY good!

In the Philippines they have cell phones, everyone text messages, and some have computers; but all the government dealings in the place I'm at is done the old fashioned way. The treasurer was filling out the books by hand, records were being kept on chalkboards, and the typewriter you see above was the most advanced technology in their office. In the developing world, you find an eclectic blend of technology!
There are a couple of private hospitals which have nicer facilities, but you see a dramatic drop off in care if you don't have money and need to be treated at a general hospital subsidized by the government. About 10 babies are born each day on this "state of the art" birthing table. (I think I would rather have my babies at home!)
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Rod and Jess said...

That is just amazing - I am truly speechless! It's hard to believe with all our commodities that that is a reality for others still! Thanks for reminding us to be grateful for our comforts! Hope Matt is having a safe trip - and that Jill is surviving at home in the meantime!

Amber said...

That is a great reminder of our blessings! Yikes.

marilyn said...

No transplants here, I think maybe I wouldn't have had 6 kids. We have sooooooooooooo much to be thankful for

Monica said...

Wow we have so much to be grateful for! My cousin Kristen Oaks has shared many of these stories but to see pictures gives you a whole new perspective!

What an incredible experience for Matt! He also has a very supportive wife! I saw the comment about me---yes you can have warm weather all the time too when you come visit us!

Miss ya!