background

Friday, January 23, 2009

Thomas' swim meet

Thomas joined the swim team in December and is loving it! He and Jacqueline practice about 4 times a week from 4:30-6:00 and they have a great time!

Thomas had his first meet at Skyline High School. He swam the 50 free, 50 backstroke and the 100 free. He did a great job!

I was so impressed with his optimism when he came up to me full of excitement saying, "I took 22nd in the 50 free." I asked him how many kids he swam against and he replied "25!" I couldn't help but smile and tell him how happy I was for him!

Swimming is such a great sport because it is so individual! It is up to you to do your best and work on beating your own times! It will be fun to watch him as he continues to work hard and keep improving!

I have loved watching him these last two months. He comes home with a smile everyday and he seems much more confident in who he is. He feels like he is accomplishing something. It is amazing how good it feels to be working on and improving new skills!

It is a lesson we all need to remember... When we are WORKING we really are HAPPIER!
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Monica said...

Way to go Thomas! Since we couldn't be with you at dinner we were glad that you had such a great race! It was fun to see the pictures! I think swimming is one of the best sports!!!

It is my favorite to watch in the Olympics! Someday I will be watching you and Jackie swim in the Olympics!!!

It was so fun to see all of you! We love you all so much!

Christina said...

Swimming is a lot of hard work. I used to swim in HS and I think a lot of kids thought it was a wimpy sport, but I can really say that it really pushes you to beat yourself, like you said. I loved it so much! I'm happy that they are enjoying it!!! Keep up the hard work.

Amber said...

It does feel good to work hard at something and improve. Way to go, Thomas! On top of a great race you get to be with great kids and get awesome exercise, can't beat that! I look forward to hearing about future meets!

marilyn said...

Thomas you are such an inspiration, I love love love your great drive and desire to always do your best, you are going to go far in this life ( and the next live also) you are amazing, I love you and way to go rah rah rah THOMAS THOMAS THOMAS !!!!!!!!!!!

Jolyn Buhrley said...

Wow! I should take some swiming lessons from you-really, I'm serious! Swiming takes great strength and endurance-I would feel so strong after completing a race like that! Are you exhausted after practices? You and Jac make work look like fun.

I love you!!
p.s Thomas-check out the pictures on my latest post. If you tire of swiming-you could absolutely be an actor.:)

Jolyn Buhrley said...

Thomas-could you not only teach aunt Jolyn how to swim but also how to spell it!!?:)

:) Now you know I'm not perfect.

Angee said...

No wonder we haven't seen Thomas for awhile. Dang swimming. :)

Way to go Thomas...