background

Friday, August 15, 2008

Emily's Bone-Marrow Transplant





Emily started her day with a very bad headache and fever. I put my face next to hers and she said, “Dad, I don’t feel so good.” I then told her, “I love you” and she responded back, “me too…” She was also anxious about this strange procedure called a bone-marrow transplant that everyone has been talking about. Even though she’s been told by many that it wouldn’t hurt her, she still showed visible signs of anxiety, which is to be expected, especially for a 6-year old. At this time, Jill scooped her up in her arms and Emily’s face quickly relaxed because she suddenly felt safe in the arms of her mother.

At 3:00pm the bone-marrow arrived in a cooler and hung on the IV pole. As the marrow was making its way through the tubing the staff came in and sang “Happy Bone-Marrow Birthday”. As Emily’s attention was diverted to the crowd in the room the bone marrow silently crept its way into Emily’s blood stream and entered its new home. Emily was at ease when she realized the transplant was underway and it didn’t hurt! For all intents and purposes, she received the new marrow as good as we could hope for on the first day, but the real work comes in the next 100 days.

I snuggled with Emily tonight and thought about the blessing of modern medicine and the opportunity we’ve been given with our daughter. I hope we can repay the Lord for all He has given us and our hearts go out to those families around the world that may not have the same opportunities. Emily’s fever has left and she’s now sleeping peacefully with a new lease on life. Yesterday I thanked her for being born without an immune system because it has brought so many blessings to our family. She looked a bit perplexed but I trust she will understand more fully in the upcoming years.

In her prayers tonight she thanked Heavenly Father for all her blessings and then asked Him to help her feel better and be healthy and strong so she can go home. She misses home and her family more than anything else. I thought it was interesting that even for a 6-year old, when life is pressed, everything else falls away except for God, family, and friends. Thanks Emily, for the great reminder of what’s most important in life.

- Dad





8 comments:

Meg said...

So glad Emily has that new lease... Bone marrow = priceless.

Deni said...

Congratulations Emily! You're on your way. Your family will be continually in our thoughts and prayers.

- Deni

Rod and Jess said...

What a happy day sweet Emily! Keep fighting hard - as I know you will! We've got another promised playdate that I am so looking forward too! I am so proud of you - and your amazing family! Thanks for being a part of my life! Lots of hugs and prayers today! Love you! Jessica

KimmyD said...

I am happy that you got your new bone marrow! I hope your head doesn't hurt anymore. I miss you and I love you!

Christy said...

So the journey continues! I am glad that this crucial step is behind you. We are praying for Emily and Jackie's quick recovery. Thomas-what a sweet tribute to your sisters. They will treasure it when they are older and realize you liked and loved them even when it isn't so "cool" to do so. Hang in their Heaps! We love you!
-Christy

Christy said...

Emily-- (Hailey wanted so say.....
Hi Emily. I hope that you can come back from the hospital soon. I love you, Emily!
Love,
Hailey

Sherrie T said...

To the Heaps family, What strength and faith in the Lord you all have! It was very touching to read what you, Matt, said to Emily about being glad that she was born with this problem because it has taught your family so much. I am sure that is true. Our trials can really make us better people, if we choose to go in that direction.
We live in the same ward as April West's parents. We have known April since she was a very little girl. What a wonderful family the Deans are. Louise, April's mom, sent me April's email about your little sweet Emily and what she had ahead of her. I have included her in my prayers. Your experiences are strengthing people you don't even know, and I want to thank you for that.
May the Lord continue to bless you and your dear family with ALL that you need.
Please give your sweet Emily a hug from me. I would love to give her one myself, as well as Jacquelin. What an awesome sister! Your bishop is right!
With much love, Sherrie Thomas

Greg and Kimberly ... said...

Heaps family,
We just wanted you to know you are in our thoughts and prayers. The kids have all been very concerned for Jackie and Emily and they've loved reading the blog. Thank you for your example, we feel very blessed to know you!

The Poulton Family