background

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Day 23

(We can't find our cameras battery charger so we don't have pictures) Today we had regional conference and Grandma Whiting came over to play with Emily while the rest of us went. It is so nice to be able to go to church together. It will be so wonderful when Emily gets to come again!
When I got home Emily kept telling me how nice she had been to Grandma. I had told her earlier that kids who are nice have privileges given to them.(In this case, she was wanting a cookie.) Anyway, later tonight she said, "Mom, I was nice to Grandma and I forgot about the cookie!" She felt so good inside to be nice especially because she had done it because she wanted to. The cookie had nothing to do with it! It is amazing how good it feels to do the right thing for the right reasons!
Sister Holladay came today with her whole family to do primary. We had a great time talking about the 3 degrees of glory. We played some fun games and sang songs to remind us of the things we need to do to reach the Celestial kingdom. It was fun to have the Holladay family over and to see what a great family they are. If anyone ever wonders if a primary teacher can make a difference just look at one of the greatest examples you'll ever meet...Rose Holladay. She is a perfect example of someone who magnifies her calling. We feel so blessed to have her as Emily's teacher.
Tears came to my eyes as I watched Emily singing the primary songs. She loves the Chemo song-they always start it with "I hate chemo, it makes me sick, I lost my hair but I don't care because....I am a child of God...." This is what Emily needs to know without a doubt so she can stay strong!
Marlin K Jenson spoke today about having tolerance and sensitivity towards all people with differences...in other words ALL of us. It was touching to hear his experiences with his brother who was mentally handicapped. He talked about how much of an influence his brother had in shaping him into the person he is today. I couldn't help but think of all the things we are learning from Emily. I see a sensitivity in Jacqueline and Thomas that most kids their age don't. They understand things on a deeper level. This is a great reminder to me why we have trials...to give us greater understanding and strength as we move ahead in life. I am truly grateful for my trials. I used to think I must have not learned everything I needed to during the 1st transplant. I have realized this is not true. I am learning different things this time around and am amazed at how much strength I gained the first time around that I am now able to lean on. Once again, I am re-learning that God knows whats best for us!
Obviously, it isn't just me who is learning from this experience but our whole family. I am positive this is a time Emily will look back on and remember as a time of learning so much about herself; even though she is just 6 years old. The lessons she is learning now will help her carry out her mission on this earth...her very LONG mission!
I watch Jacqueline and Thomas and amazed by their faith and strength. It is hard when your family isn't together and your sister is taking up so much attention. They never complain, they have really stepped up and find ways to help out in any way they can. I can't tell you how much this means to me. The love these kids have for each other is so wonderful. I hope they always stay so close!-Yes, they still act like siblings but at least they make up fast!
Have a wonderful Sunday everyone.
-Jill

2 comments:

Elder Logan Cottle said...

How wonderful to have Sister Holladay! Hayden has had her as a teacher and scout leader and LOVES her. We truly have such a wonderful ward don't we?????

Rose said...

Awe Shucks, Jill! When I get to heaven I'm asking to be in your ward! I have a few pics on my blog (roshol.blogspot.com) if anyone wants to see Jill and Jackie work their magic!