background

Monday, September 29, 2008

Day 45



Emily had such a wonderful day today! She started out by going to gymnastics. I seriously have not seen her smile like that since last week at gymnastics! It is so amazing to watch her light up as she moves and stretches her tight little body.
This afternoon I had to run to the store for a few minutes and when I came home Emily had roped Thomas into being her prince. They were dancing and laughing together. Thomas was being so sweet to her! It is always such a gift when you see moments like that!When I went down to her room she had every church dress out on the floor and said, "Mom, I never get to wear these anymore so I missed them!" She then asked me if they were "gowns". I told her that yes they were definately fancy enough to be called gowns!She also asked if we had ever gone to a Ball before...too many princess movies? Maybe! It's always fun to dream!
I decided to help Emily out a little with her growing anxiety about playing with friends because she has not seen them for so long. I invited (without her knowing) Katie West over after school. About 5 minutes before she came, Emily heard me on the phone talking with her mom. I had to tell her Katie was coming over. She had a very panicked look on her face. I looked at her and told her she would be just fine and she was going to have fun!
As soon as Katie walked in and treated her the same as she always has Emily was able to relax and everything was great! Katie has always cared so much about Emily. She is 2 years older and she has always been so patient and kind. They went on a bike ride together which was so good for Emily to be outside. It made my heart melt as I watched them ride off because Emily knew she was safe with her friend.
When they came back, they had stopped at Katie's for a movie; Emily made sure to tell me she wouldn't go in their house. She also said she needed a drink "because they didn't have any clean cups at their house"...if you Know April West you would have been laughing your head off like me because she is one of the cleanest people you will ever meet! Katie said, "Yea, my mom didn't want Emily to have one of our cups because my brothers always touch them and our dishwasher isn't that good." Leave it to April to be so sensitive to Emily's needs! I can honestly say I don't think anything could ever be "really" dirty at their house!
I am so glad she had this play date. Hailey Bohrer saw them and joined in on their bike ride. Emily really enjoyed herself and felt very comfortable with her friends. I am so grateful for the sweet children in our neighborhood!

4 comments:

Rose said...

Love the pic with Thomas! That's just priceless! It's so great to see Emily out and about. Tell Em if she wants to wear a dress for Primary, I'll wear mine.

Angee said...

The picture of Emily with her Prince Thomas just melts my heart. You're so awesome Thomas...

joslyn marie said...

emily- i love you so much and am so proud of you. you are the greatest example. cant wait to see you

Meg said...

Thomas.. i love how amazingly sensitive you are to your sister! What great friends and neighbors you have.. although I have ALWAYS known that because of how they helped me when she was a baby and in the hospital!